d6

KnitSmithery

It all started with the Knitting Olympics. The Games may be over but the yarnsanity endures....

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Sock Crazy

I've been waiting to post until I had some pictures, but Vista is confounding my ability to share and upload pictures, so I'm posting pic-less for now.

Since my last post I've been working feverishly on warm black socks for the mister, who commented on how cold his feet were and how slightly-too-big his shoes were and how he had a knitting wife who never knitted him any socks, sniff, sniff.

Well, my dear knitters, you know what kind of an invitation that was, so within eight days he had four brand-new homeknitted socks. I've called them "Wool-Ease 44s" because they are knitted out of Wool-Ease worsted, on 44 stitches. I also rib 44 rows for the leg, turn the heel and do 44 rows before decreasing for the toe. Neat!

In the interests of not-going-insane-in-the-dimly-lit-basement-laundry-area I have added a grey stripe to the top of the first pair and a multicoloured strip to the top of the second pair. In all other ways they are interchangeable.

I've slowed down a bit after my sock-every-two-days initial burst. I've got the first sock of the next pair done, though, and now that I have a simple pattern I needed to vary it, of course. The heel and toe of this one are done in a salt and pepper colouring, which reinforces them as well as making them more obvious in the laundry. I'm not sure the toe was completely successful, but luckily the mister is so keen on the home-made socks he's not liable to complain.

Nice to have found something I can make for him. And it's so nice to think of his feet being warm and cuddled all day due to my efforts.

Homemade socks: a portable hug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home